Thursday, July 23, 2015

Why Are We Here?

I am not a copy editor. I am not trained to be one. But I can spell, and I know my word tenses, and I can construct a complete sentence.

Several of my friends and I are mourning the demise of proper word usage, tenses, sentence construction, etc. And it's getting worse. Almost daily we find groan-worthy errors, mostly on Twitter (I'm allergic to Facebook), but occasionally I'll find one on Facebook if I last long enough.

Now I'm not talking your general Twitter or Facebook user. Nope. I excuse those. Well, except for when they repeat the error, over and over again, and it's obvious they don't have a clue. But then I just ignore them.

My main goal here is to shame the news agencies. I'm talking not only local news stations, but national news organizations like Newsweek, AP, UPI, etc. There is NO excuse for these guys to have a typo in a post that's less than 140 characters.

A recent example:

From AP: administration approves permits for limited exploratory oil drilling off Alaskan coach

Coach? I think they meant coast. The same error was in the linked article.

And another one:

Local news on FB: We have confirmed that Governor John Kasich has just gave the authorization...

Has just given. GIVEN, people.

This stuff makes me itch, and I felt it was time to go public with my angst.

I'll add more gaffes here as they come to my attention.

Feel free to correct MY typos as we move along on this adventure. I'd appreciate it, actually.

Let the games begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment